At Bijenbaas and Bijzaak we are passionate about sustainable living and producing high-quality honey. We are a social enterprise. Our goal is to sustainable development. Together with other companies and governments, we are committed to ‘’prosperity for people and the planet’’. Several of the Sustainable Development Goals (SGD’s) defined by the United Nations, are exactly what we stand for: Promoting Biodiversity, taking action to combat climate change, responsible production and consumption and combating poverty.
We are looking for an experienced beekeeper to join our team for a minimum of 3 days a week, and help us maintain our hives and produce honey at the highest standard. The ideal candidate will have prior experience working with bees and be able to demonstrate excellent hive management skills. He or she will be responsible for the care of the bees, including feeding, and cleaning the hives. The beekeeper will also be responsible for extracting honey and ensuring that the quality of the honey meets our high standards.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Keep colonies healthy and productive by regularly inspecting them for pests, diseases, and other potential problems
- Managing colonies by adding new boxes of honeycomb as the colony grows, splitting colonies as they get too crowded
- Collect honey and wax from hives, using smoke to calm bees when necessary
- Extract & Process honey to prepare them for sale
- Keep records of hive conditions and activities
- Order supplies and equipment as needed
- Build and maintain beehives
- Install new bee colonies
- Train new beekeepers
- Conduct research on bee behavior and colony management
- Advocate for bee conservation efforts
- Give presentations on beekeeping
- Problem-solving to identify and address issues in their beekeeping operations.
- organizational skills to keep track of their beekeeping tools and products. They also need to organize their beekeeping schedule and plan their time accordingly.
- Able to work outside under straneous conditions
- must be able to communicate with team members and customers. Often need to explain complex information about bees and beekeeping to those who have little to no experience with the subject. Also need to be able to communicate with other beekeepers to share information and collaborate on projects.
- the ability to work on your own
- to be able to carry out basic tasks on a computer or hand-held device
- Ability to lift 20+ kilo’s
- Proven experience as a beekeeper
- Knowledge of bee behavior and biology
- Familiarity with beekeeping equipment and tools
- 2+ years professional beekeeping experience
- Experience working with hazardous materials and chemicals
- Driving licence
- Forklift certificate
- Familiar with HACCP
If you are interested or have any questions, please contact Jessica van Beek via firstname.lastname@example.org